Math Buddha's Blather

Uh, I don't know, just read it and see for yourself.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Expectations

I wonder if this one will be as long as the last one.

Everyone's been told at least once not to expect too much. But I don't think people think too much about how much they actually expect. At least, I didn't until recently. And I realize that the second sentence in this paragraph is so retarded it's almost poetry, but I couldn't come up with anything better. You see why my fiction writing goes nowhere.

Did you expect that bizarre digression into writing styles? Maybe, maybe not. Do you expect your screen to keep working? Do you expect me to keep typing in English? Do you expect a plane to not crash into the building you're sitting in right now?

We have to expect a great deal to be able to function, and the more we expect, or maybe I should say it as assuming-without-devoting-conscious-thought-to, or taking-for-granted, the more efficiently we can function. I don't actually take time in the morning to decide whether I should wear clothes when I go out. Seriously, I don't. I don't take the time to decide whether my raisin bran is going to kill me, I just eat it. I did take the time to check up on the creatine I've been taking, and have now decided not to take anymore. What, you thought I was going to make a moral argument? You should know better by now.

The most dangerous, and also the most necessary expectations we have, regard our fellow humans. I expect people not to assault me, and to send off some kind of cue before they do so. I expect my friends to know when I'm joking. I expect my students to give me some indicators of whether they have a clue what I'm talking about. Most of the time these expectations are met. On occasion, they are not.

Who's fault is that? Mine. To truly expect others to meet my expectations at all times would be arrogant. Even for me.

3 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger theCallowQueen said...

So, do you expect people not to think to much? You're probably right about that, though, when it comes to expectations and priorities.

We expect to have the same access to food and shelter tomorrow that we had yesterday and today -- if not more. We expect to not have to think. And based off of those expectations we create our reality and our -- often misguided -- priorities.

Side question: Do you think that the main priority for most Americans is possession?

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expect the Chiefs not to completely suck everytime they make it to the playoffs...obviously I'm dissapointed. Boo!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Big-Bold-D said...

hh, just noticed Callow's question...is that new? Probably not. I'm hesitant to comment on the priorities of "most Americans", but I would say that we're possession-oriented as a culture to an unhealthy degree. Specifically, I'd say that it's not such a good idea to teach your kids to expect financial success. Relatively few people get rich, and if you're not one of them, that doesn't make your life worthless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home