Math Buddha's Blather

Uh, I don't know, just read it and see for yourself.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Priorities

I want to eat sushi every day.
I need money for this.
I want to have money.
I need to work for this.
I want to not work.
Error.

I think a lot of people are confused about what wanting means. It's a simple word, but wanting itself is extremely complicated. I have never met anyone that wanted only one thing, and I hope I never do. That would be insane. Actually, I think they call it monomania. The point is, we want a whole plethora of different things at once. The subtle part comes in how we decide which one to go after.

I don't really get to examine anyone else's thoughts, but here's how it goes for me. The actual desire comes from...well, anywhere. I want a more powerful graphics card in my computer, because I want to play a game. Who knows why I want to play the game. But wait...maybe there's some other reason I want a new card...bragging rights? The satisfaction of putting it in and getting it to work (nah, that never happens)? Vanity? Maybe even a perverse desire to waste money and damage my finances? Why would I want to do that anyway?

You see how that goes? And the graphics card really is a minor thing with me. Don't get me started on relationships. Oops, too late. That is what this whole rant is about isn't it?

As paradoxical as it seems (still need to read that book), this whole neurosis thing seems to help me be more in control of my life. It lets me be a little more rational in my decision making. Naturally, if I just told myself the real reason why I wanted things, I wouldn't need all of this analysis. I mean, why is sushi so goddamned special? Maybe other people's brains are more transparent, but my experience leads me to believe otherwise.

Why is figuring out what you want and why so difficult? Because we know better. We've been taught what's right and wrong, and we know darned well that wanting a video card so that someone else will be jealous, so that they'll spend more time thinking about you is wrong. (Just making this one up here, you didn't think I was going to confess to some heinous desire in public, did you?) So we suppress. We invent, or more often appropriate, some other reason and convince ourselves that it's the whole truth. I want to play this game because it was a gift (that part's real (how's my punctuation going?)).

But you have to get over that. Just because I want to kick clowns and see them fall down doesn't mean I do it. But boy is that mental image fun. And frankly, I'm not sure how much difference it makes in the end. Yesterday I ate sushi. Today I do not buy a video card. You win some, you lose some. And obviously, I'm not really talking about sushi and video cards, because they don't matter in any fundamental, inherent way. People do.

If I buy a video card and it starts pissing me off six months from now, it's easily gotten rid of.

Sushi takes even less time.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Money makes it all go to crap...

That's why I'm in Japan. The only job I've found that enjoy well enough to do every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home